Ready for SharePoint 2016?
Migrating to SharePoint requires a checklist to guide you through the process.
Whether you are migrating from a previous version of SharePoint, moving to Office 365, or even just moving files in from your File Shares, the process of migrating data can be tricky.
On January 20, 2016, Microsoft announced that SharePoint Server 2016 and Project Server 2016 Release Candidate were available. Today, SharePoint 2016 is on the precipice of general availability - a May 2016 launch is fast on the horizon.
Recently, Microsoft shared a Migration Checklist to help you meet your SharePoint 2016 migration needs.
SharePoint 2016 Migration Checklist
- Make a detailed inventory of your environment: By having a detailed inventory of everything you have, you'll be able to make better decisions and estimates on the effort of your migration. The more information you have, the easier it will be to
plan and respect your migration deadlines.
- Clean up your old environment: SharePoint is all about helping people build what they need to get their work done, but it doesn't mean you still need everything today. Take the time to find, remove and reorganize things in your environment.
- Prepare your destination environment: A migration is the best time to wipe the slate clean and start over. Make sure you take the time to plan and structure your new home according to your needs. You might not get the chance again - for a long, long time. Map your destination's architecture, optimize your new SharePoint Servers' performance, configure all web applications, back everything up, check databases for corrupt data and run a test migration! Remember to map a plan for the metadata of your content.
- Communicate with your users: Your biggest challenge for the migration is bringing change to your users. For this to be successful, you will need to make sure they know what is going on - and why. Inform your users before starting of the downtime planned by the migration team and the reasons for possible changes in the environments. Share an estimated timeline for your migration efforts.
- Start your migration: The actual migration effort should not be too complicated if you followed the previous steps! It comes down to moving, and dealing with, anything that pops up that did not show up during testing. If migrating from SharePoint 2013 on-premises, perform database attach-upgrade to bring everything "as-is" and use a third-party tool to granularly migrate and restructure as you move. If migrating from an earlier SharePoint version, strongly consider third-party tools. The usage of these tools, combined with Paragon’s SharePoint and Migration expertise, will help any client gain control over their migration and help them custom tailor the effort to their needs.
- Post migration tips: Before you swing open the doors and let everyone into your SharePoint, make sure everything is actually ready! Test your destination environment - ensuring all content migrated successfully. Create a backup of your new environment, remove access to the old SharePoint and run a full crawl!
Ready to Migrate?
To date, over 5,000 customers have downloaded the SharePoint Server 2016 previews, which, through Microsoft customer feedback, resulted in a high-quality Release Candidate. SharePoint Server 2016 is Microsoft's most reliable, scalable, secure and high-performant server release ever. With built-in hybrid cloud capabilities, it is a premier choice for organizations looking to take advantage of the latest innovations in Microsoft Cloud offerings while also maintaining critical content or custom applications on-premises.