The Future of SharePoint
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Today, at Microsoft's Future of SharePoint event in San Francisco and webcast event to the world, the company unveiled a new cloud-first, mobile-first vision and roadmap for SharePoint, along with innovations that empower people, teams and organizations to intelligently discover, share and collaborate on content from anywhere and on any device.
The unveiling was a true future of SharePoint experience. In announcing the general availability of SharePoint 2016, which includes new hybrid capabilities that enable on-premises customers to tap into the innovation Microsoft is delivering in Office 365, the company made the magnitude of the May 4 unveiling abundantly clear.
According to a statement by Jeff Teper, corporate vice president for the OneDrive and SharePoint teams, for over a decade, Microsoft customers have relied on SharePoint to power teamwork, to automate business processes, to create business applications and to build company-wide intranets.
As a core part of Office 365, SharePoint provides content management and collaboration capabilities that are seamlessly integrated with the other applications people use every day to create and co-author documents, meet and work with their teams, brainstorm, analyze and make decisions.
SharePoint is also integrated with the powerful cross-suite capabilities of Office 365, such as Office 365 Groups, the Office Graph, and governance controls for security, privacy and compliance. More than 200,000 organizations use SharePoint today and an extraordinary community of more than 50,000 partners and 1 million developers make up a $10 billion solutions ecosystem around SharePoint.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every individual and organization to achieve more. Case in point, see Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella underscore the importance of SharePoint to the company's ambition to reinvent productivity.
- Simple and powerful file sharing and collaboration on any device.
- The mobile and intelligent intranet, with modern team sites, publishing and business applications on your desktop and in your pocket.
- An open and connected platform that evolves SharePoint extensibility to embrace modern web development.
- Investments in security, privacy and compliance across Office 365.
- To learn more about Microsoft's file sharing and collaboration vision and roadmap, read Announcing simple and powerful file sharing and collaboration for Office 365.